Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Creating Community Through Morning Meetings

Hey Bloggers, 

Creating a classroom community is one thing that I feel very strongly about so I made the decision to write 
yet another blog post about community. A few posts ago I talked about music and how it can create a 
positive classroom environment. Today, I want to focus on Morning Meetings and how it can create a 
positive impact in the classroom. 

Morning meetings are an excellent tool for building a community. I believe that students are more likely to share if they feel safe and welcome in any given environment. Morning meetings can provide a way for those students to gain a sense of courage to speak to the rest of the class. In morning meetings there is no negativity, judgment or mean words said to one another. This is the only time of the day where students are required to speak kindly and positively about themselves and others. I truly believe that if you instill these qualities in children that it will start to become a habit and students will eventually forget the negative or mean thoughts that they once had about themselves and other and replace them with uplifting positive thoughts. Another reason that I feel morning meeting is a wonderful tool to build community is because each morning every single student will be greeted with a smile. I believe that this can make or break a student’s attitude for the upcoming day. Moring meetings provide a place a support, encouragement and comfort throughout the entire day for every student.
Check out this video to see more about how classroom community can be established through morning meetings!

Till Next Time! 


1 comment:

  1. I love that video... for what it shows us is possible! 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete