Monday, April 7, 2014

Creating a Community through Music

Hey Blogger World!

Today, I have been thinking a lot about how to build a classroom community and what ways I can incorporate the things that I love into my teaching. One thing that I am very passionate about is music. I love music, every part of music fascinates me. I have been playing the piano since I was about 8, singing in a choir since about 9 and I picked up the guitar when I was a teenager. Music is my passion and I want to create a community that revolves around it.

 Music is timeless. It can connect people from different countries, ethnicities, and even break language barriers that you may be having in your classroom with English Language Learners. Music makes everyone feel better and almost everyone can connect to a piece of music in some way. Sometimes it can be the beat, tone, pace, or melodious notes of music that we connect to or it can simply be the words just make us feel happy. In my classroom I would use a choir as a metaphor for success and support because in a choir every single person’s voice is heard to create something fantastic and a classroom can be seen in the same way. Every student is important and loved by their fellow peers, teachers, staff and parents and they need to know that. Overall, music can build a community because every single student has a part in making the song sound beautiful. The parts can be as simple as boys and girls, or I could even split the class into the four parts of soprano, alto, tenor and base. Anyway that I decide to do it for my classroom it still means that every child has a part that they have to know in order to create something wonderful. I would tell the students that everyone’s voice counts equally. I think this would help build community because by sharing music together I can help foster connections between students that may have not been there otherwise. Each child needs to know that their voice can be heard! 

Check out these YouTube video about how music can create a community! 




Till next time, 



1 comment:

  1. I loved finding out that you are a music person, and that you light up your students' lives with music. My comment to your previous post was about knowing a lot about yourself in order to be the kind of teacher you want to be. Well, this is part of that. You know yourself, and you know that one of the things that make you tick is music... so you will use that as an avenue to respond to your students and meet their needs. You Go, Girl! 5 pts.

    ReplyDelete